Small Green Steps
Europa’s ‘Small Green Steps’ programme is designed to tackle the challenging, yet rewarding commitment to sustainability that our business faces. It isn’t about making huge gallant statements to save the world; it is about making small measurable steps towards achieving sustainable results. Small Green Steps is about making ‘being green’ a strategy that works for our business, is a way of life for our people and rewards our customers.
Our past achievements include:
• Offsetting greenhouse gas emissions through tree planting and decommissioned 179t of emissions through the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme
• Obtained ISO14001 an International Environmental Management Standard
• Formation of Europa Sustainability Steering Group and appointed ‘Green Champions’ to help share and communicate ideas across the business
• Greening our Supply Chain to reduce impacts
• Sustainable development, energy use and ‘green’ training programmes for our people
• Helping our clients meet their own sustainability targets and realise savings; both monetary and on greenhouse gas emissions
Europa offers sustainable solutions to our customers, providing a range of commercial benefits.
• Total Furniture Management provides cost savings in addition to large impacts on CSR policy aims and positive environmental impacts: furniture re-use, recycling and reconfiguration options and cannibalisation of consumable spare parts for repairs
• Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) Management offers initial energy usage assessment, strategy and planning, implementation and training
• Waste Management Services offer cost reduction, supply chain, waste mapping and water reduction services, equipment procurement, rebate identification and enhancement, recycling
• New Technologies including Green Speed Bumps and Footfall energy creation
Europa also wants to make 'being green' a part of everyday DNA for our people, so as part of our sustainability project, we've issued each employee with a 'My Small Green Workbook'. This nifty workbook has been sustainably sourced and is filled with facts and quizzes to motivate our staff to be green. We also have a slick 'My Small Green Notebook' which can be used to bind together scrap paper for a daily notepad. And once it's filled up, you can take out the scrap paper, throw it in the recycling bin and reuse once again!
Small Green Facts
- We introduced ‘walking bus’ and ‘park and stride’ schemes with our clients, and their communities, helping reduce emissions
- We continue to assist clients to reduce their energy and water consumption through the use of new technology such as ground source heating, rainwater harvesting, combined heat and power plants, solar panels and waterless systems
- We have a number of hybrid vehicles in our fleet
- Working towards 100% target for environmentally friendly cleaning chemicals used
- In an average year our people recycle over 9,500 tonnes of waste and travel over 217,822 miles by train, saving over 50 tonnes of CO2
- We have managed clients sites promoting biodiversity through bat boxes, species surveys and responsible grounds maintenance techniques